This entry was inspired by the 30 for 30 documentary series on ESPN. In 2013 I turned 30– and for me this meant time to reflect, minimize mistakes, and accelerate—in theory. So, in no particular order you will find 30 lessons and pieces of wisdom I have gathered over the past 30 years. I had a lot off fun adding and deleting ideas and advice I felt was worthy of consideration.
- A healthy perspective is invaluable. With one, life becomes a manageable maze as opposed to a series of dead ends
- Understand what others value
Relationships in all forms equate to a healthy balance of giving and taking. Be aware of which of the two you do most.
4. God is in control. We are sitting in his lap steering while he works the gas and brakes.
5. Living for the experience will minimize the pressure when it’s time to perform. Soak it in.
- Responsibility breeds humility. You realize in most instances you drive the outcome and or experience for the benefit of someone besides yourself.
My sincerity is best expressed in written word versus spoken. I need to write it down in order for it to be received the way I want it to be.
8. Exposure is everything. Maximize it. The people that are most successful have several instances of exposure through tireless work.
9. Accountability is the key to growth, respect, and peace of mind.
10.Be a resource personally and professionally and you will always have worth.
11.Consume media that helps you get to who you want to be and where you want to be.
12.Listen and try not to diagnose.
13.No matter how much money and success you amass, if you can’t work with your hands. Eventually realize you are worthless in a post-apocalyptic society. Note to self–learn to build something!
14.Food is my friend, supporter, and enemy.
15.Life is more about positioning yourself for quality choices than about an actual choice that yields an outcome
16. In the bible love stands for sacrifice, therefore I believe love should be a competition of selflessness
- You will make mistakes and disappoint others. The goal is to avoid the same mistakes and avoid disappointing the same people the same way.
Never take yourself too seriously. Life is about course correction and not perfection.
19. Seek arenas that allow me to be vulnerable. Create that type of space for those I care about.
20.To be my best self I have to know and neutralize what contributes to being my worst self. Self-awareness is important.
21.There’s nothing new under the sun. Look for different ways and situations to apply what’s been done.
22.Find different ways to express thanks
23. God’s favor is the only thing I have found that trumps hard work and talent. Pray and work hard.
24.Ask better questions. Master asking quality questions.
25.You must understand people’s motivations to understand their behaviors. Take time. Seek to understand before seeking to be understood.
- The slower the better is true for most everything….yep most everything
50 plus guys will shoot you straight when it comes to opinions. Keep access to them. It’s valuable to know truth.
My music must always be close by in order to immediately improve my state of being.
29.I have yet to regret not getting more sleep…At some point I know I will.
30.Think less, feel more.